Hospital Discharge Planning
Hospitals often discharge patients before they are ready to live independently. Additionally, some patients would rather recover from the comfort of their home, instead of remaining at a hospital for a longer period. Regardless of your reasoning, Kinkaid Private Nursing Care can help you or your loved one transition from the hospital back to normal life, all from the comfort of your home. Moreover, our team of nurses has decades of experience caring for patients upon discharge, so we can customize your discharge plan to meet your unique needs given your specific case.
What is Hospital Discharge Planning and Why Would I Need it?
Hospital discharge planning refers to the detailed planning of a patient’s release from a hospital and the care they receive upon returning home. Hospital discharge planning has the following overall goals:
- Creating a smooth transition from the hospital back to normal life.
- Getting you out of the hospital as safely and quickly as possible, so you can recover from the comfort of your home.
We discuss what a thorough hospital discharge plan should look like below when we outline the overall content of our care, but let’s first look at the reasons one would need a hospital discharge plan. Patients generally need a thorough hospital discharge plan if either of the following are true:
You Were Discharged Too Soon
Hospitals sometimes discharge patients before the patients are ready to resume normal life. The reasoning for an early discharge could be because of a lack of hospital resources, insurance issues, or more. Regardless of the reason for early discharge, if the patient is not stable or ready to resume normal life, he or she should talk to a care provider to create a hospital discharge plan so the patient can smoothly transition back to normal life.
You Prefer Home Care
Many patients would rather recover in the privacy of their home instead of at a hospital. In most cases, this is manageable and even ideal. That being said, you will need a thorough hospital discharge plan to ensure a smooth transition back home and to ensure you still receive the care you need throughout your recovery. An effective hospital discharge plan will also help you leave the hospital sooner so you can return home in a more timely manner.
What Does Kinkaid’s Hospital Discharge Planning Look Like?
At Kinkaid, we customize our hospital discharge plans to meet the exact needs of each patient. That being said, we prioritize the following aspects of care for all our patients, as each of the following points are crucial for an effective hospital discharge plan:
- Minimizing Time at the Hospital: As mentioned above, many patients would rather recover at home as opposed to the hospital. Because of this, one of the biggest focuses of our hospital discharge planning is to minimize the time you spend at the hospital.
- Low-Stress and Smooth Transition Home: Ultimately, the goal of a hospital discharge plan is to ensure a smooth transition from the hospital to your home in the least stressful way possible. Our highly trained and experienced nurses always have a smooth transition in mind when coordinating your discharge plan and providing care. Furthermore, our nurses will be with you every step of the way to ensure maximum comfort and a smooth transition.
- Premium In-Home Care: Once you transition home, you may need consistent in-home care to ensure there is no disruption in your recovery process. Our nurses have decades of experience customizing in-home care to meet your specific needs. They are available 24/7 to assist you in whatever you may need as you continue your recovery at home.
- Mastering All Logistics: One of the most important aspects of hospital discharge planning is ensuring that your care provider masters all logistics and is on top of every detail. Kinkaid’s team of experienced nurses pays close attention to every detail of your discharge plan to ensure you have the smoothest transition possible. To effectively manage all logistics, we prioritize the following:
- Coordinating with the Hospital Before Discharge: Our nurses coordinate your discharge with the hospital to ensure every step of your discharge goes smoothly. They also speak with the hospital’s doctors to ensure they understand exactly what care is needed to continue your recovery at home.
- Fully Understanding Your Situation: Our highly trained nurses take the time to fully understand every detail of your unique medical situation so they can tailor their care plan to meet your needs. They are also trained to catch any mistakes made by the hospital during discharge and to remedy those mistakes as quickly as possible.
- Setting Up Your Home For Care: Upon fully understanding your medical situation, our nurses set up your home so it is ready to help aid in the safest and most comfortable recovery possible. This involves setting up the necessary safety equipment, recovery aids, and health supplies throughout your home to ensure your house is ready. And if you or your loved one requires oxygen assistance or a hospital bed, we can set this up in your home as well.
- Coordinating Follow-Up Appointments: We coordinate all follow-up appointments with your doctors and/or the hospital if necessary.
- Proper Administering of Medication: Ensuring you receive the right medication at the right time is crucial for any recovery process. Because of this, our team of nurses ensures that you have an appropriate medication schedule and have your meds refilled whenever necessary.
- Coordinating with Supporting Agencies: If necessary, we coordinate our care with home health agencies and hospice agencies to ensure you receive all available resources for your recovery.
- Excellent Communication with Patients and Families: Good communication is key for anything, especially for handling something as complicated as hospital discharge planning. We prioritize communication with our patients and their families to ensure everyone is on the same page and that our patients receive everything they need in a timely and effective manner. This involves communicating accurate information about our patients’ conditions in a clear and concise way.
Contact us for a FREE consultation today!
Who Provides Our Care?
Our care is provided by Kinkaid’s team of nursing professionals with decades of experience in hospital discharge planning. Our nurses are trained to provide high-quality care in a kind and professional manner, while also ensuring excellent communication with families.
Our Coverage Areas
We service patients in California.
In-Home Nursing Care Services & Discharge Planning
Our in-home nursing care services throughout the state of California including:
LOS ANGELES METRO AREA:
- Los Angeles
- Beverly Hills
- Bel Air
- Pacific Palisades
- Santa Monica
- Holmby Hills
- Cheviot Hills
- Culver City
- Beverly Glen
- Includes Costa Mesa
- Newport Beach
- Newport Coast
- Huntington Beach
- Laguna Hills
- Laguna Niguel
- Laguna Beach
- Mission Viejo
- San Clemente
- San Juan Capistrano
- Yorba Linda
- Chino Hills
- Dana Point
SAN DIEGO METRO AREA:
- San Diego
- La Jolla
- Chula Vista
- Del Mar
- San Francisco
- Daly City
- Palo Alto
- Mountain View
- San Rafael
- Walnut Creek